Random Post 2: 4/5/2024

So this semester I have learned a lot of pretty interesting things about myself and who I want to be after college. Currently I am working for a creative agency called Race Service that specializes in automotive, fashion, and culture projects. When I first got this position, I saw it more as like a stepping stone to something "bigger" like a large company like Red Bull or NVIDIA. However, as I spent more and more time at this very new company and concept the more I realized that this is the place that I need to be. And after thinking about why I felt this way I was able to break it down into three strong reasons why I really like Race Service and why I want to remain there post graduation. 

The three reasons are: 

- Team Structure 

- Level of Impact 

- Niche that I have been passionate about since childhood 

The first reason why I really like RS is because of the way the company is structured. It is an automotive creative agency but acts as both a creative conceptualization powerhouse as well as the engine that executes the projects rather than hiring a separate team to visualize the concept (So creative agency and production company simultaneously). With this being said, it causes everyone that works at RS, from the lowest rank (Intern like myself) to the President of the company being creatives that are capable of not only coming up with concepts, but physically producing them as well. This is a special phenomenon that I have never seen at any other company that I have worked for. When I worked for Beats by Dre last semester they team up with a creative agency called Translation to come up with concepts for Beats commercial projects. After Translation conceptualizes and plans out the project, they hire a freelance team of creatives to execute the idea, leading to changes in the final product due to lack of clarity within the separate teams. This is a very inefficient system that I did not want to box myself into. I know that I don't want to be the person that solely writes the ideas (Creative Strategist) and I don't want to be the person that solely produces someone ELSE's ideas (Freelance Cinematographer/Director etc). I want to be both (Multidisciplinary Creative Producer) and that is what Race Service embodies. 

Continuing this idea of team structure leads me to my second point which is the level of impact everyone has on the team. Because the company is so small and new, there is not really a strong hierarchy in place where things need to be approved. Contrast to Beats where everything had to be approved by them before moving on, RS has to be approved by my supervising creatives and the president before being sent to client to post. This allows me as an intern to have a heavy impact even as an intern. I now have had my work posted on very large companies like Ferrari, Mercedes, and Michelin's social media pages reaching millions of views. This is all thanks to that company structure. 

And lastly and probably the most important aspect that I love about Race Service is that it is the embodiment of my personal passions. It blends cars, skateboarding, music, fashion, culture, and so many more things that I love to do on my free time and makes it a profitable thing. Because of this, I have been able to feel like I belong because the rest of the team shares these same passions and I am inspired by everyone that works there creatively, professionally, and personally. It is a great company and I hope to stay there for a very long time. I would also encourage anybody reading this to not hyper-fixate on a job, company, event, or thing that you think you need to have to be happy, because you might find something along the way that is completely different that suits you even better. 

Comments

  1. Hi Andrew,
    I enjoyed reading your experience at race service. How your initial perception of the company's evolved into a deep appreciation for its unique structure and culture was interesting to read. Also your breakdown of the three key reasons why your drawn to race service (team structure, level of impact, and alignment with your personal passions) shows how the company has become more than just a workplace for you. Truly inspiring. Overall great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew, Race Service sounds like an incredible company. I'm glad to hear that you've found a place that aligns so well with your passions. I also thought your last paragraph offered some great advice. Life has a way of leading us down unexpected paths, and your emphasis on remaining open-minded while navigating your career path is very valuable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment