Book 1 Post 2: American Like Me by America Ferrera
Reading American Like Me by America Ferrera was a very interesting experience as I have grown up in a similar fashion as a first generation immigrant. It is always great to see how individuals respond to living a similar lifestyle. There is always an extreme method of assimilating where the previous culture is lost, preventing assimilation where there is no adoption of American culture or values, or in my case a strong combination of both where I have many different core American values like capitalism and competition but also keep latino values like family and unity.
One of the stories that I read was that of famous actor and musician Lin Manuel Miranda, where he discusses his Puerto Rican Heritage. He states that his Puerto Rican upbringing helped him create his musical "Hamilton" and that it had a great impact on the rest of the art that he has created and continues to create.
This combination of stories really resonated with me. It helped me understand the importance of recognizing origins and where people come from and how that impacts perspective on life as a whole. It was a super fascinating read and I look forward to reading more books like this.
Comments
Post a Comment